Homemade Gluten Free Mac & Cheese
My absolute favorite homemade recipe originates from my older sister. She makes the best gluten free mac & cheese, in my opinion. But find out for yourself…below are the ingredients and directions needed to make the worlds best homemade gluten free mac & cheese!
-1 box gluten free pasta of your choice
-2 tablespoons salted butter
-2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten free flour
-2 cups of whole milk
-4 cups of cheese (usually 1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese)
-Salt & Pepper
-Old Bay seasoning
1. In a large pot bring water to a boil and cook 1 full box of pasta. Do not overcook the pasta. Set the pasta aside to cool slightly once cooked.
2. While the pasta is cooking, start your roux. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
3. Once melted, and slightly bubbling, add the flour. Whisk together and make sure all clumps of flour are dissolved. The roux should be thick and a light brown color.
4. Slowly add the milk to the roux, whisking continuously. Once all the milk is added give it time to warm through and thicken enough to coat the back of a spoon.
5. Add your cheese to the milk in the pan, stirring to ensure all the cheese melts.
6. Season to taste based on personal preferences once all the cheese is melted. Be careful adding dry mustard and paprika, but be generous with the rest of the seasonings. Start with less and add more if needed.
7. Lower the heat and allow the cheese sauce to cook and thicken for 7-10 minutes.
9. Best served warm off the stove, but this mac & cheese makes great leftovers!
8. Place cooked pasta in a large bowl. Pour finished cheese sauce over the pasta. With a rubber spatula carefully combine the cheese sauce and pasta. Be careful not to break the pasta.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.